modern au with all the grandchildren of finwe just going about daily life given:
- maedhros works with disabled children and paraplegic vets, is truly abnormally tall and gangly and kind of clumsy (a lot of relatively harmless ghost-hand stuff manifests in a lot of trying to grab things with a hand he doesn’t have); he and maglor are somewhat antagonistic roommates who argue like an old married couple and grandparent at their younger brothers
- maglor teaches a lot of music lessons (this truly tests his patience), and spends a lot of time researching and recording obscure music and obsolete instruments (which he manipulates curufin into trying to make for him, you know, “oh, I didn’t think it’d be, you know, too hard for you”)
- celegorm is a park ranger invested in wolf conservation and training therapy/ptsd/see-eye/etc dogs (maedhros uses this connection. a lot. without any pay to speak of.)
- caranthir is a policeman. it gives him an excuse to angrily stomp around parties killing joy. he also volunteers at a retirement home because little old ladies can boss him around without making him angry and he’s become an avid crafter
- curufin is a physics professor who collects degrees and is desperately trying to move up in the world of teachers because he really really wants to teach something more interesting than physics 101 for non-majors and also a ta would be great. he became infinitely more approachable when he started to bring his baby to office hours, even if it means he’s less predictably available
- amrod is a programmer/videographer, which means he has an untouchable store of blackmail and everyone still has to depend on him to fix their electronics, but he also makes really touching videos for birthdays and stuff (and has been gleefully documenting curufin’s adventures in parenthood), he and maglor work together a lot incorporating sound and image
- amras is working on becoming a lawyer. he is basically living in the library with a caffeine iv and woe betide the fool that disturbs him
- fingon was a competitive gymnast, the pt, but since he’s taken to part-time coaching sports teams (high school and vets), and rock-climbing (teaching and as a hobby) while he goes back to school aiming to become an orthopedic surgeon
- turgon is an architect, avid hiker, and dedicated family man, not necessarily in that order. has a habit of disappearing fuck-knows-where on surprise camping trips.
elenwe is a sports physician and lovingly exasperated wife. she also works with nonprofits to support girls in sports and takes an aggressive stance with male coaches who aren’t her brothers-in-law (and sometimes with them too)
- aredhel dabbled with being a jockey, but ended up sticking with environmentalism and forest conservation research; still rides, but not as fast now that she’s pregnant
eol is a smith and installation artist, he specializes in movie prop weapons and armor. he’s got a kind of sketchy brooding artist thing going on, but no one is going to say it out loud
- argon is a coach as well, a significantly more aggressive coach than fingon. but dammit if he doesn’t have the winning streaks under his belt to justify it
- finrod is a dancer who does some modeling on the side, also works to support arts programs in intercity schools. has a surfing habit that, unfortunately, endangers his dancing career
- angrod is an emergency responder and volunteer fireman up in the mountains. he may or may not have kid(s).
- aegnor has cougar and legal commitment issues, but is otherwise quite loyal. he’s also an emergency responder and volunteer fireman up in the mountains with angrod.
- galadriel is also a dancer (and dammit if she’s not going to become a prima), as well as a botanist and general know-it-all. she actually did tell you so. the family is on tenterhooks waiting for her to conceive.
celeborn is a philospher and teaches, also into botany
*me and Fëanor-mun watching The Muskeeters*
"common sense is for common people, not for Kings"
hey, sounds like the Noldor
i spend a lot of time thinking about which death is the worst in silms
Anonymous asked: Seven rather than five characters, but still - Feanor's sons
No problem, the more the better! 8D Sorry it took super long because I find it hard to rank them, I just keep changing my mind. Generally I like all of them, no matter what I personally do think that they’re all interesting characters. So… here how I rank them!
1. Curufin – I think it’s Lay of Leithian that sealed the deal for me, he’s just so delightfully interesting and deliciously plotty (for lack of better words) there. But even before I read the lays it was Lise’s fic, Elegy, and her meta on Curufin that get me interested in him.
2. Maedhros & Maglor – Maedhros because political character always interest me and despite all the things that happened to him, he’s still trying to do the best he can. Maglor is my favourite son of Fëanor the first I read the book and even though I don’t think of him as much anymore he’s the Fëanorian I cried about the most
3. Caranthir – He ranked surprisingly high… I actually never thought about him at all until I talked a lot to Eld. He’s awkward so he come out to be rather dickish but that surprisingly make him endearing at times. Also I really like the collective fanon that he actually sew and knit! XD
4. Celegorm – He ranked rather low because honestly sometimes I’m still conflicted about Celegorm. He’s the kind of character that I really like. He’s a hunter, he could speak with animals, he’s so freaking special fandom can’t decide on his hair colour, in fic and headcanons he tend to be the funny and extroverted one, the list could go on. But no matter what the reason I just never like the part where he kidnap Luthien and plan to marry her against her wish. Sooooo my feelings about him actually fluctuates a lot. But idk uhhh I actually always LOVE reading everything about him.
5. Amrod and Amras – Not gonna lie I don’t know much about Ambarussa and don’t think of them lot as well >_> But generally I find them ok and I really like them as the creepy brain-linked twins that creeped the hell out of everyone.
Anonymous asked: Thingol, Eol, Morgoth, Celeborn, Ar-Pharazon
LOL WHAT A SELECTION
1. Celeborn – I have not much thoughts about him but overall I don’t hate him at all, so he wins!
2&3. Thingol & Morgoth share the same spot – Thingol never is my favourite and I have some issues on some of his choices but in this group he’s actually considered to be pretty decent. As for Morgoth I think I’ll blame people on my dash for this, because unlike Thingol people actually manage to convinced me that he’s actually interesting.
4&5. Eöl and Ar-Pharazon also can share the same spot – dislike them for the same reason, probably Eöl a little bit worse because Aredhel really is one of my favourite.